One of the most widely used and addictive social networking platforms is Instagram. You can always delete or deactivate your Instagram account to curb your usage.
The distinction between the two is that deactivating your Instagram account is only temporary, whereas deleting your account will prevent you from logging in again.
You can use a web browser to delete or deactivate your Instagram account on desktop and mobile devices. Even account deletion is possible on iPhones via the Instagram app.
How? Read on.
How to delete your Instagram on desktop
1. Log into your account at instagram.com using a desktop web browser.
2. Visit the Instagram account deleting page after logging in.
3. Select the reason for deleting your account from the drop-down box on the screen’s right panel.
4. Type your password in again in the text field below, then click the Delete [Account Name] button.
Instagram will inform you that it will take a month before your data is completely deleted. Your account will just be concealed from public view until that time.
How to delete Instagram on iOS
1. On your iOS device, launch the Instagram app. Select Settings from the menu by tapping the profile picture icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
2. In the top-right corner of the screen, tap More. From the menu that appears, choose Settings.
3. Select Account.
4. Click Delete account in the list of options.
5. Click Delete account once more.
6. Tap Continue Deleting Account to confirm your choice.
7. The mobile version of the account deactivation page will then load in the Instagram app. By tapping it, please choose the reason for deleting your Instagram account from the drop-down menu.
8. Type your Instagram password again in the text field underneath, and then touch the [Account name] button to proceed.
How to delete Instagram on Android
1. Navigate to instagram.com on your Android mobile browser and sign in to your account.
2. After logging in, go to the Instagram account deleting page.
3. Select the reason for cancelling your Instagram account from the drop-down box.
4. Type your Instagram password again in the text field below, then click the [Account Name] button.
How to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily
You can instead temporarily disable your account if you only need a little break from Instagram. This makes it invisible to the public but allows you to restore it whenever possible.
1. Open a web browser, sign in to your Instagram account, navigate to your profile page, and select the Edit profile button at the top.
2. Click the Temporarily disable my account link at the bottom of the page that appears.
3. Enter your password again after selecting the reason for account suspension.
4. Press the Account Temporarily Disable button.